December 16, 2011

Throw those fucked up kicks (Olivr’s Top 11 Songs of 2011)

This year brings a bucketful of worthwhile hits totally putting me into a state where I have to – you know – do this list.. again. The method for coming up with this list is pretty simple: the roll is plainly based on the number of plays for each single in my playlist. So to say, let's count..



11. Science and Faith – The Script (28 plays)
I still remember the first time I heard this hit. It was a Saturday afternoon at UPLB Main Lib while I was looking for journals for my thesis. I downloaded it due to the dumb fact that it’s The Script. Then played it for hours the moment I reached the dorm.  Repeatedly. Non-stop. And sure enough, it grew on me the same way ‘The man who can’t be moved’ stole my musical sensibilities for the next weeks that followed.




10. Tonight Tonight – Hot Chelle Rae (30 plays)
This tune never failed to cheer me up during those desperate times. This was my company during those rare occasions when I badly seek for a friend to lend a hand, those days when waking up each morning was such a chore – Sem Break 2011.




9. Ready to Go – Panic! At The Disco (31 plays)
Heard it first on the radio and eventually fell in love with it – love at first hear. But my most memorable recall about it was when I watched Isko’t Iska 2011 at D.L. Umali Hall. This was the background music of one of the play’s sponsor organization’s AVP.



8. Linda Blair – Tanya Markova (35 plays)
A close friend always accuses me of being bias in disliking OPM hits. But that claim is not always the case. Tanya Markova is a clear exception, at least.




7. If I Die Young – The Band Perry (37 plays)

I deeply admire the manner the song was written. Pretty nice requiem. 



6. Glad You Came – The Wanted (37 plays)
I had hard time fighting to get the beat out of my head. Think of those hours this song erratically played on my mind while walking, eating, and even in taking exams. Depressing. But I do love its groovy treat.



5. I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues – Paul McDonald (39 plays)
Paul McDonald was a phenomenon. American Idol 2011 wouldn’t be complete without him. And 'I guess that's why they call it the blues' is just too epic. Plus, I made a great deal of good memories out of this hit this year.




4. Animal – Neon Trees (44 plays)
As it turned out, this was really the best song off the album (which was pretty dense with good songs) which I also eventually fell in love with. The song’s just too contagious that it ruled my entire summer.




3. Rocketeer – Far East Movement (57 plays)
I proudly admit that this song is my absolute guilty pleasure for 2011.




2. Paradise – Coldplay (73 plays)
The best Coldplay hit next to ‘The Scientist’ to date. Talk about reality, and how painful it is. However, the song itself is a paradise to me.





1. Pumped Up Kicks – Foster The People (93 plays)
Houselizards, ants, mosquitoes, cockroaches, and the rest of creatures thriving at Room 4212 Vet Dorm UPLB are living witnesses of the obsession I had for this  hit. Expect the song played at least once every time my PC’s turned on. Totally and desperately fell in love with the tune despite the dark lyrics. 





Feel free to check this link for a complete treat of the tracks featured here. 


1 comment:

  1. oi, oi, im ditching the old songs i have. planning to have new sets. at ehem, naisip ko magback read ng mga post mo. laking tulong. salamat.

    ReplyDelete