October 4, 2013

Radioactive Sago Project | Hoy Emilio

Right after watching the highly-praised, multi-awarded MMFF 2012 entry El Presidente starring ER Ejercito last Christmas, my initial reaction was no less than wtf. I admit, the over-all production was enoughly impressive but the storyline hugely sucks. Extracted solely from the Emilio Aguinaldo perspective, the plot largely deviates from what I believed, or so I thought, has truly happened. Nearly, everything about it was but a plain manipulation of the concealed truth behind the life, times, and the eventual tragic end of the once envisaged national hero. Much has been said about that trashy film, let’s get down to the more relevant thing: the music, which is not really associated with El Presidente, but is somehow related to BonifacioRock Supremo featuring a bunch of masterpieces including Ebe Dancel’s ‘Lakambini’, Peryodiko’s ‘Sintensya’, and Dong Abay’s ‘Cazadores’. This may not be as good as Dong Abay’s Rebulto tribute for Rizal’s 150th; I do not find each of the songs in it endearing. But this whole thing sounds okay as it, at least, makes me feel something, whether it’s rebellious, or tacky, or insubordinate. It may not be a perfect album, nevertheless, it’s perfect for what and why it is.

Particularly, I instantly found myself trapped for ‘Hoy Emilio’, an entangling narration of a piece of history we might have wrongly viewed, as penned by the genius Lourd De Veyra of RASP. As usual, this Radioactive Sago track creates in me the signature my-ears-meet-Lourd-and-a-sly-smile-appears-in-my-face kind of effect. RASP has been one of those artists around whom I really listen to. The first time I get an ear on the track last night, I could recall how I was so focused to have a share of what they’re about to be dishing out keeping at the back of my mind that it’s guaranteed, that the track is something substantially significant. RASP possesses that certain magic of effortlessly dropping a bomb a little too rudely and unconventionally yet still comes out beautifully. And of course, sensibly. Essentially, they were recording tracks that are technically deranged or anything, but are sure-fire to be thrusting, head-swaying, and mind-blowing.

Indeed, this whole Rock Supremo masterpiece is not just a reminiscent of how Bonifacio came- and left- to-be, but a celebration of how a man rose and fell into greatness leaving us a pinch of inspiration we might be needing very soon, if not now.

No comments:

Post a Comment